Scotland is well known for its unpredictable weather. It can change very quickly in a matter of minutes, especially in mountain and sea areas and you can experience all four seasons in one day... When travelling around Scotland it is always best to be prepared for anything, good or bad. In the height of the summer, the hours of daylight are long and it may not get dark until after 11pm, particularly the further north you are.
Average Temperatures for Edinburgh are approximately as follows:
There are various phone lines you can call for weather updates including:
- 10-day Weathercall forecast for North West Scotland: 09068 500 425.
- Click here for a phone list of other regions throughout Scotland (the Weathercall service uses data provided by the Met Office).
Web sites providing useful weather forecast information including specialist sport and astronomy websites:
- The BBC
- The official UK Meteorological Office including an overview of Scotland's climate
- Average daylight hours for Glasgow (shown monthly)
- Sunrise and sunset calculator for Edinburgh & other towns
- Mountain Weather Information Service
- SportScotland Avalanche Information Service
- Weather Online (inc. current & annual figures, etc.)
- The Weather Chanel
- UK forecasts by Yahoo